Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Practicing Numbers in the Teens

We have been busy this week (in between snow/ice days) practicing numbers in the teens.  Most of my students had a pretty good grasp on rote counting but I quickly discovered that they did not truly understand the order of the numbers or have a good handle on which numbers were larger and smaller.  They struggle with counting forward and backward from a number other than a benchmark number and they cannot explain why one number is larger or smaller than another.  One game that we are going to use to practice numerical order (and some logic skills) is Nearby Teens.  I found this game on k-5 math teaching resources and since I have a smart board as one of my digital math stations,  I adapted it to use there.  I love how it turned out with the cute monsters!  Hop on over to my TPT store to check it out!

Cheers!

Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment