Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Gruffalo & Animoto

My techno-babies absolutely LOVED the book The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson!  I used this book to work with them on the skill of visualizing the character & setting, using describing words,  and making character maps.  First I read the book but stopped short of the part where the mouse actually sees the gruffalo.  We discussed, drew, and charted (using shared writing) and used the text to prove what we knew about the gruffalo.  We then continued reading to confirm our thinking.  The kids were absolutely amazed with how close we came to the actual revealed creature!  Next we each made a cut out gruffalo and watched the video.  When their artwork was finished,  they took pictures of them, uploaded them to animoto.  Then,  I made a bulleting board of their work and  I compiled them into a short video to share them with parents. Easy Peasy.  If you haven't tried,  animoto.  I highly encourage you to give it a try.  
Enjoy, Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment